Halloween is almost here! I can hardly stand it! We don’t have cable, so I’m missing out on those days where some of the channels (I know AMC used to do it) play Halloween movies one after another all day on the weekends. I really miss that! I also don’t have up a single decoration because our house is in such a state of disorganization from all of the projects going on. In case you’re a new reader, we’re fixing up an old house. It just doesn’t seem worth it to try to dig everything out. So my favorite holiday is not quite as fun as it normally is. But I’m excited because our little town is having a Halloween celebration downtown with food, costumes, trunk or treat, plus I have a very cute toddler to dress up!
To get myself in the spirit, I thought it would be fun to make a list of my top 10 scary movies, and see what some of yours are! This is not a complete list by any means. I love scary movies. But these are some favorites that come to mind. The title of the movie links to the IMDb page for a complete description.
1) Beetlejuice: I was obsessed with this movie from elementary school until well, forever. It’s just awesome. And skinny young Alec Baldwin is adorbs.
2) The Amityville Horror: Creepy house from hell? Always a good choice!
4) The Wicker Man: This movie haunts my brain often. It’s just weird. And I like weird. It’s a village of people living on an island, far removed from modern day society, who practice this sort of pagan religion. And the Nicholas Cage freakouts are awesome.
5) Dolls: OK, I’m not even joking with this. It’s one of my favorites. I like evil doll movies. I’m twisted and that’s why I like Halloween so much. I admit it. But really, this is one of those that is kind of funny too.
6) Pet Sematary: This is one of those classics that I have to watch every year. It’s the right amount of scary and cheesy for me!
7) The Shining: I pretty much watch this movie every chance I get. It is just so well done. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and it’s such an original story, unlike anything else that’s ever been made.
8) The Innocents: This was an old movie that Joe and I came across a couple years ago about a governess in a haunted house watching over a couple of creepy kids. Great find!
9) Hocus Pocus: I’m going to go PG-rated for a second for a movie that I feel truly embodies the fun and happy spirit of Halloween. Wonderful movie!!
10) In the Mouth of Madness: Starring Sam Neill…I have this thing about Sam Neill. The thing is, he scares the crap out of me. He is in a lot of scary stuff and he is very good at playing creepy characters. I hope that in real life he is a cool guy. This movie is like the epitome of Sam Neill creepiness…well, it is right up there with Event Horizon, which will haunt me forever.
Need a Halloween-themed dish to make this year? Try Spider Eggs! Just make (or buy, cause who’s going to know?) deviled eggs and top with half a black olive, and the other half of the black olive slice thinly to make the legs! A little time-consuming, but totally worth it!
Looking a playlist for your Halloween party? Check out my MASSIVE Halloween mix for some inspiration to add to your own song list!
And lastly, here are a few of my favorite past decorations around the little apartment we used to call home!
What are your favorite scary movies? Are you looking forward to Halloween this year?
Hope you’re having a fabulous day!